Thursday, May 31, 2012

What will the future bring? or will there be one?

No I am not one of those end of the world Mayan calendar people and if you research that at all it does'nt have anything to do with the end of the world, it has to do with the dawn of a new age and the return of their "gods" so if anything maybe ET will pay us a visit in December would'nt that be cool. I am more concerned with real world events that are occuring even now as I type, insane weather for instance the huge numbers of extremely powerful tornadoes over the past couple of years, the increased frequency of very strong category three and greater hurricanes. I have seen baseball and softball sized hail right here at home in Nebraska this year not very nice to windsheilds and other windows and such by the way, the increasing frequency of ever stronger earthquakes world wide and the increased activity of volcanoes both here and other places even those thought to be dormant are making their presence known as of late. Couple this with the gradualy increased melting of the glacial ice and the polar ice caps Alaska's perma frost starting to melt, all of these events make me wonder what will the future bring or will their be one at all? What kind of world are we leaving for our children to inherit from us? All the detractors claiming that global warming does'nt exist it's a myth well the earth itself has warmed 1.4 degrees which is pretty damn significant in the overall scope of things, we have no technology in existence at present to reverse the process that we are responsible for setting in motion. No Captain Kirk and Mr Spock to save the day by bringing back hump back whales now, I started thinking about this earlier after getting my kids report cards from the school my son made the honor roll and received many ribbons from his exploits on the school track team my daughter was one C away from being an honor roll student that class being ancient civilizations which was world history back in my day. I asked her about it which netted me the answer that both the class and the teacher were boring, I cant really argue that point as I found it boring as well but she still passed it and thats good enough for me and she also garnered a few ribbons for track and such. The point I am getting at is this I am sure many of you have children who are as equally intelligent as mine, I am sure that many of you have a fifteen year old son and thirteen year old daughter that have already made plans for college and beyond both of mine fully intend to wear husker red in the coming years and I have little doubt that they will. What makes me nervous is what kind of world will they have through college and beyond? with all the crap going on in nature and mankinds pencant for self destruction will they have a world worth living on by than? People are suddenly into going green and saving the world ecology and thats all good however are we too late for such actions to even matter? The atmosphere is screwed now thanks to all the pollutants that we as a people have spewed into it, the ever decreasing fresh water supply becomes more tainted as it recedes and strange fissures open in the earth at strange points filling with salt water though many miles from the nearest coastline. I am still hopeful for a future that will be run by our children as they are our true gifts however I still worry about what kind of world we are giving to them as they grow into adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment